Pennsylvania Electronics Recycling Law:
PA Act 108 bans both the disposal and collection of certain electronic “covered devices”. Electronics currently banned from hauler collection and disposal in PA waste disposal facilities include: televisions, desktop and laptop computers, computer monitors and computer peripherals (anything that connects to a computer such as a mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.).
Where York County Residents Can Recycle Electronics:
York County Solid Waste Authority’s Residential Electronics Recycling Program is free and open to York County residents ONLY and is conducted Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The program is conducted in the parking area located directly across from the York County Resource Recovery Center at 2651 Blackbridge Road.
Penn and Fairview Townships also conduct electronics recycling collection programs that accept electronics from all York County residents and offer weekday and Saturday collection hours. Please call, or visit their web sites for times and locations:
Penn Township: www.penntwp.com, 717-637-1561
Fairview Township: twp.fairview.pa.us, 717-901-5200
Material accepted in the programs includes electronic “covered devices” as well as other electronic recyclables including cell phones, vacuum cleaners, alarm clocks, irons and coffee makers or anything with a plug that does not contain Freons. Examples of Freon-containing items include refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
How York County Businesses Can Recycle Electronics:
York County organizations, schools and businesses that wish to recycle electronic devices may contact electronics recycling vendors directly. A list of Nationwide Commercial Electronics Recycling (non-residential services) serving businesses is located below.
- Republic Services: http://www.republicservices.com/businesses/electronics-recycling
- Sims Recycling: http://www.simsrecycling.com/Services/Responsible-Recycling
- Electronic Recyclers International: http://electronicrecyclers.com/services
- JVS Environmental: http://www.jvsenvironmental.net/
- Cinco Electronics Recycling: http://www.cincoer.com/corporateservices.html
- KVS Computers: http://www.kvscomputers.com/
- Regency Technologies: http://www.regencytechnologies.com/it_management/asset_management_services.asp
- Kuusakoski Recycling: http://kuusakoski.us/recycling-services/
- Advanced Technology Recycling: http://www.atrecycle.com/business-portal/e-scrap/
- AER Worldwide: http://www.aerworldwide.com/index.php/electronics-recycling/
- Anything IT: http://www.anythingit.com/
- Apto Solutions: http://www.aptosolutions.com/services/recycling
- Newtech Recycling Inc.: http://www.newtechrecycling.com/
- Waste Management, Inc.: https://www.wm.com/store/catalog/business/recycle-by-mail-for-business/electronics-recycling-kit
- Hewlett-Packard: http://h30248.www3.hp.com/recycle/hardware/
If all you want is to dispose of your unwanted equipment — regardless of brand — Apple can help you do that. Apple contracts with Sims Recycling Solutions to responsibly recycle computers and displays from any manufacturer. Just call 800-966-4135 to receive a free prepaid shipping label. Then pack up your equipment using your own box and send it off. For more information about Sims Recycling Solutions, visit oem.srsapp.com/ApplePoweredBysims/.